Dr. Fred Alger received his Bachelor of Art’s degree from the College of Wooster, where he majored in biology and minored in chemistry. Dr. Alger received his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the Ohio State University. He also received his post-doctorate degree and specialty training in Periodontics at Ohio State.
During his three-year residency in the graduate periodontics program at Ohio State, Dr. Alger conducted clinical research on the regeneration of periodontally diseased teeth. The results of this research were published in the Journal of Periodontology and accepted for presentation at the Midwest Society of Periodontology in Chicago. Dr. Alger received the first place award from the organization, for this research on periodontal regeneration. In 2020, Dr. Alger received the title of Diplomate through his Board Certification; American Board of Periodontology and Implant Surgery.
Investing in tomorrow’s specialists
In addition to maintaining a full-time private practice as a periodontist, Dr. Alger also teaches at the Ohio State University College of Dentistry one day a week. He has taught at the university for over 20 years.
Dr. Alger enjoys sharing his knowledge and practical experience with his students. It is his belief, however, that he receives more than he contributes as a clinical professor at the College of Dentistry. Being a teacher has also allowed Dr. Alger to continue learning, and has helped him to be a better clinician.
A recognized voice in periodontology
Dr. Alger has authored and co-authored several published articles on periodontal regeneration. He is a regular lecturer to dental students, hygienists and dentists.
- 2017 ODA Annual Session: Rethinking the Hopeless Prognosis
- An Update and Review of Commonly Performed Periodontal Surgical Procedures.
- Research Forum on Periodontal Regeneration
- Non-Surgical Periodontal Therapy
- Current Concepts in Periodontal Regeneration
- Periodontal Therapy to Achieve Optimal Restorative Dental Results
- Periodontal Regeneration & Future Site Preparation for Dental Implants
- Give Teeth a Chance: Implant, Periodontal & Restorative Treatment
- Esthetic and Functional Crown Lengthening Surgery
- The Interpersonal Relationship of the GP and Periodontist
- Dental Implant Site Preparation in the Maxillary Arch, Utilizing Osteotome Techniques
- Implant Dentistry Today – Panel Discussion on Challenges and Complications
The man behind the practice
Dr. Alger believes that his most significant accomplishment is raising two fine boys with his wife of over 25 years. He also enjoys a good book, a good work out, high school wrestling matches, watching Buckeyes football with his friends and family, tailgating with family at Brown’s games and fishing. Dr. Alger also finds that the rigors of Tae Kwon Do and mixed martial arts classes are a good way to keep healthy and unwind.
Dr. Alger spends much of his free time with church activities. For over ten years, he has helped lead a middle school youth group at his church. He originally became involved with the youth group when his own boys were in middle school. He continued with his involvement because it is his belief that he was making a positive difference. This youth ministry has been a significant part of Dr. Alger’s life.
Dr. Alger is an active, contributing member of the following organizations:
- Columbus Dental Society, President 2016
- Columbus Academy of Periodontists, Past President
- Ohio Dental Association, Council Member, Representative to House of Delegates
- Ohio Academy of Periodontists, Past President, Member of the Board of Directors
- American Board of Periodontology, Diplomate, Board Certified in Periodontology and Dental Implant Surgery
- International College of Dentists, Fellow
- The American Dental Society
- The American Academy of Periodontology
- The Academy of Osseointegration
- The American Association of Dental Anesthesiology
- The International Team for Implantology (ITI)
- Spear Study Groups.