Dr. Fred Alger believes excellent care begins with teamwork.
There are a number of reasons why patients come to Dr. Alger’s treatment facility. Sometimes they are referred by friends and other times they have seen the work that Dr. Alger has provided for a family member. The most common way that patients find him, however, is by referral through their existing general dentist.
Working together for optimal patient care
Your dentist and Dr. Alger have different roles to play in the course of maintaining and improving your oral health.
- Responsible for providing most of your dental care, including but not limited to fillings, crowns and bridgework.
- Provides routine exams and regular cleanings.
- Trained and licensed to perform any dental treatment that you might need.
- May refer you to a periodontist for advanced gum infections or for placement of dental implants.
- Treats advanced infections of the gums.
- Often sees patients for cleanings on an alternating basis with their dentist, when gum disease has been treated
- Specially trained in advanced surgical procedures, including dental implant surgery.
- Will refer you back to your dentist to fabricate the artificial teeth that will attach to dental implants.
How does the process work?
Your dentist will likely be the first person to detect your need for a periodontist. In the event this happens to you, here’s what you can expect:
- Your dentist will give you a referral slip and ask you to call Dr. Alger for an initial examination. He or she may follow up with Dr. Alger, when additional information concerning your referral is needed.
- A member of Dr. Alger’s team will contact your dentist’s office, to obtain any current x-rays.
- Sometimes, Dr. Alger will need to take additional x-rays, to make a proper diagnosis. However, he diligently tries to avoid taking unnecessary films.
- A thorough examination will be performed to determine the proper diagnosis for your particular case
- Dr. Alger will discuss his findings with you and discuss your treatment options with you. He will also send a report to your general dentist detailing his findings and treatment recommendations. Your dentist’s input concerning your treatment is always appreciated.
- Depending upon the nature of your gum condition, your relationship with Dr. Alger may be short-term or long-term. Once treatment is completed, you will be referred back to your dentist.
Teamwork is especially important with dental implants.
Dental implants are titanium tooth roots, which are placed into the jawbones to support artificial teeth
. Typically Dr. Alger will perform any necessary surgical treatment, such as the placement of the implants into your mouth. Your dentist, on the other hand, will typically fabricate the crowns, bridges or denture work that will fit on top of the implants.