Patients and dentists alike prefer non-surgical options for solving a dental problem and restoring oral health. Nonetheless, there are situations when the problem has progressed too far for these non-invasive options to be effective.
In these cases, periodontal surgery provides an effective solution to save smiles, stop progressive dental diseases and promote ideal oral health. Also, there may be times when a surgical procedure is the optimal way to reach a dental goal and improve your smile.
Dr. Fred Alger Periodontics & Implants provides numerous specialty dental surgical options. Dr. Alger first considers whether one of our non-surgical options can help, and then he may recommend a surgical intervention if needed. It’s also possible that your orthodontist or dentist may recommend surgery and refer you to our office.
Periodontal Surgery for Gum Disease in Columbus
If your gums require surgery to get healthy, Dr. Alger is uniquely qualified and extremely experienced to perform minimal to extensive surgical procedures to treat periodontal disease, which is also known as gum disease.
When left untreated, gum disease can progress to the point that it causes the loss of bone and tooth loss. In early stages, deep cleaning or scaling and root planing procedures help remove plaque and tartar buildup from the teeth, gum line and tooth root area to restore oral health.
If the problem continues to progress, you may need periodontal surgery, such as:
- Flap surgery
- Bone regeneration procedures
- Tissue grafts
- Osseous surgery
The type of surgery depends on your unique situation. Our dentist performs an evaluation and discusses potential treatment with you.
Surgical Treatment Beyond Gum Disease
Dental surgery is not only used to treat gum disease. Surgery is available for other purposes as well. Here are some examples of when you may turn to Dr. Alger for surgical interventions:
- Your dentist may recommend surgery to help fit crowns or bridges
- You want to change the look of a “gummy” smile through a cosmetic surgical procedure
- Your orthodontist recommends surgery to improve outcomes
- You need the removal of a pathologic lesion
- You want the permanent tooth replacement solution of dental implants
If the gum tissue surrounding a patient’s teeth cannot be repaired with a non-surgical approach, such as scaling and root planing, surgical treatment may be necessary. Alternatively, surgery may provide the best option for a particular situation. Dr. Alger typically exhausts all non-surgical options before recommending a surgical procedure.
If it is determined that surgery is in your best interest, a detailed treatment plan will be developed. In such circumstances:
- Dr. Alger works directly with your dentist to ensure the best results before and after the procedure
- Our surgical staff is committed to patient comfort at every step
- You will be treated in a state-of-the-art treatment facility
- Dr. Alger offers a full range of surgical procedures, depending upon your needs
- Dr. Alger only offers procedures that are defended by clinical research
- A gentle approach means a greater tolerance for surgery
- You’ll be well-informed about each stage of your treatment plan
Skilled Oral Surgery Options in Gahanna
A skilled and experienced periodontal surgeon, Dr. Alger approaches each procedure with passion, attention to detail, and a commitment to your healthy smile. If you are in danger of losing teeth to periodontal disease or you want to know treatment options for a different dental concern, please contact us today!
Replacing Bone Procedure
Sub Epithelial Gingival Graft Procedure